Mediatonic is looking for a Lead Games Developer with exceptional technical and management skills. We want you to join us in building a new studio from grass-roots level and to play a fundamental role in developing it into a powerful and highly creative games company.
The Lead Coder is responsible for the overall technical strategy of the studio as well as the hands-on execution of projects from concept to market. As the studio expands they will also lead and help scale the code team to meet and exceed the demands of a growing organisation.
Alongside the Managing Director you will share responsibility for time, budget and quality on projects, as well as bringing the talent and passion needed to help make the company thrive.
In addition to team lead duties, the role will also require you to:
- Interpret and execute project design requirements as well as the studio's overall creative aspirations
- Agree and implement strategies for company R&D, infrastructure and systems
- Analyse technical capabilities and identify resourcing requirements
- Help appoint new hires and develop team members
- Collaborate on roadmaps and sprint planning by providing time estimates and technical strategies
- Ensure our technical proposals and progress can be clearly communicated to stakeholders, both internal and externally
- Mentor team members by giving feedback, setting expectations and delegating as appropriate
- Act as ambassador and champion for the studio both internally and externally
- Excellent programming skills in C# and / or C++
- An understanding and passion for readable, robust code and best practices
- Previous commercial experience in a game studio and / or commercial experience working in a large development team
- Familiarity with Unity (preferred) or Unreal
- Strong understanding of game development tooling and processes, art workflow, performance optimisation and memory management
- Experience using source control systems such as Git and Perforce
- Experience leading a project or mentoring a team
- Experience programming for consoles including an understanding of TCRs/TRCs and the certification process
- Strong maths skills
- A deep passion for crafting games
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Modern graphics programming skills including Cg/HLSL and/or computer shaders
- Experience with mobile SDKs (Android & iOS) and frameworks (2DToolkit etc.)
- Understanding of client / server communication and data serialisation
- Understanding of 2D and 3D animation principles
- Experience with build scripts and systems (Jenkins, Team City, Ant, Make etc.)
- Experience using and scripting common art and 3D software packages (Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender etc.)
What does this role offer?
- An opportunity to be a pivotal part of a new start-up, with the security of an established studio
- The autonomy to shape the technical framework of the studio and have a huge impact on future games
- The chance to work with the latest technology in games
- Influence on aspects of our games outside of a purely technical role
Mediatonic and its affiliates are some of the UK's largest independent game makers with around 100 exceptionally talented and seriously hardworking people who devote their careers to crafting awesome original games.
Mediatonic creates multiple new titles every year with backing from the UK’s top industry veterans and carefully selected partners. You’ll find our games on smartphones, consoles and PC being enjoyed by millions of people all over the world!
Working with us
We take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us. We invest in the technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry — and when people join our company, we’re investing in them for the long term.
We take on the most demanding creative and technical challenges we can, and we provide our teams with the support, encouragement and resources they need to meet those challenges and excel.
We believe in ambition and passion while maintaining that open and sincere communication will always be at the heart of any successful organisation – as well as plenty of social events and activities including pizza nights, game jams, tech talks and pub trips!
We hope to welcome you to the team!